Wednesday 28 September 2011

PODIUM FINISHES FOR SWAN YAMAHA AHEAD OF SEASON SHOWDOWN

Swan Yamaha’s Tommy Hill and Michael Laverty secured podium finishes at the penultimate Showdown round of the MCE Insurance British Superbike Championship at Silverstone today as the team now prepare to fight for the title at the deciding finale at Brands Hatch.


Hill and Laverty at Silverstone
In the opening race of the day Laverty took the lead before championship leader John Hopkins passed him on the ninth lap at Stowe. Laverty was trying to regain the position but a mistake cost him the chance of victory as he had failed to see the last lap flag or pit board on the final lap and had to settle for second. Hill took third place as he fought hard to maintain his podium finishing form that has seen him maintain second in the overall standings ahead of the final round.

In the second race Laverty again took the lead before the leading Title Fighters battled for the podium positions. Hill then hit the front, but with four laps remaining he was pushed to second but still scored vital points for the championship as Laverty secured fourth. Hill lies second in the standings, eight points adrift of the championship leader whilst Laverty leaves Silverstone in fourth place overall.

Hill said: "We have left Silverstone second in the standings and still ready for the title fight at Brands Hatch. I was feeling frustrated with third place in the first race; it wasn’t a bad result in terms of a podium finish and consistency is important but not when a certain American is winning races ahead of us. I really thought we could challenge for the win and we did pull them in towards the end after they had got a bit of a gap. We obviously wanted more in race two and again I had mixed emotions for that race as I was pleased that I had John (Hopkins) behind me for the championship, but also I want to win badly for myself and the Swan Yamaha team. We had a few issues with set up this weekend and I did struggle with grip but I knew I just had to push on because every point counts. Josh (Brookes) came past me and I wanted to have a go but the championship tapped me on the back of my head and I knew that the points would be critical coming in to Brands Hatch and the last three races.”

Laverty said: “Race one was going to plan and I was feeling comfortable with the pace and I followed John (Hopkins) for a few laps but I made a stupid mistake because I hadn’t seen my pit board or the last lap flag and so I didn’t take a punt to get passed him. I was a bit frustrated with that and I wanted to make amends in the second race. In the second one I took the lead on the first lap, but John Hopkins got passed me and before I knew it I was back to third. I was suffering with some brake issues and the race was getting a bit messy as everyone was making lunges and it was all pretty hectic! I think if I had been able to get to the front I could have controlled the pace but I just didn’t get the chance I needed. We will re-group though and come back for Brands Hatch and the last three races of the season ready to get back on that podium.”

Swan Yamaha team owner Shaun Muir concluded: “I am delighted that we leave Silverstone still in contention for the championship and the racing today just shows that all of the riders out there are giving it everything. The title will go down to the wire and it was just a shame that the race was red flagged as I think Michael could have made a move to take the last place on the podium.”

For more information visit www.swanyamaha.co.uk 

Performance Parts Ltd are please to support, sponsor and supply Swan Yamaha. For more information about the performance parts we have for YOUR bike please visit www.performanceparts-ltd.com

Performance Parts Ltd - Bionics for your bike. Better. Stronger. Faster...

No comments:

Post a Comment