Monday 10 October 2011

SWAN YAMAHA CELEBRATE BSB CHAMPIONSHIP WIN AT BRANDS HATCH

The Swan Yamaha team are celebrating tonight after Tommy Hill secured a maiden MCE Insurance British Superbike Championship title with a sensational performance in the final race of the year to beat title rival John Hopkins to the line by just 0.006 seconds. The second place meant that Hill was crowned champion with a two point advantage at the end of the season.

Tommy Hill - BSB Champ!

 Hill had missed out on a podium in the second race with a fourth place and just two points separated him from title rival Hopkins ahead of the last race of the year. In the final race the pair swapped places five times on the final lap, which would decide the outcome of the title. Hill narrowly crossed the line ahead to secure second and with it a maiden championship title for the team.

Michael Laverty was caught out by the drying conditions in the second race but in the season finale he was embroiled in the fight for the final podium positions before ending the race in fifth place. Laverty ended the season fourth in the standings for the Swan Yamaha team.

Hill said: “I am gobsmacked to have won the title for Swan Yamaha; this has been my goal and I was trying to stay as relaxed as possible in that final race. The season has put a lot of pressure on everyone and that reflects on everyone. We have been regularly finishing in the top three and that has therefore been the benchmark and the whole of the Swan Yamaha team have been working so hard all year to make this possible. It has just been a complete shock for me and I feel like we should be having another race next weekend now! It wasn’t until the other riders started congratulating me that I even realised I had won as it was so close between myself and Hopper.

“It has been a long hard season and it came down to that one race. Everyone wanted a Showdown and that is what we have given them; it really was make or break time and I knew I had to do everything possible to beat Hopper. I knew Michael (Laverty) was behind me, but then when I knew it was Josh (Brookes) I had to just go for it. Coming across the line we didn’t know who had finished second and with it the title. At the moment I feel like I need someone to punch me or something to bring me back to reality. I just want to go out and race again now! I just want to celebrate now with my family, friends and the whole of the Swan Yamaha team and I need to thank everyone for their support this season.”


Laverty said: “Today has been a great result for the Swan Yamaha team and congratulations have to go to Tommy for winning the title. I rode my hardest to try and protect him and the rest of the hard work he did himself. There is a lot of satisfaction for the team tonight but at the same time I am disappointed that we were not able to come away as the champion. We have been fast all season long and we showed again yesterday with the win that we have the pace. It has been a great year and I need to thank the Swan Yamaha team for all their support.”

Team Owner Shaun Muir concluded:
“We delivered everything we set out to achieve at the start of the season although we have made life difficult along the way! It didn’t start the best for Tommy this weekend but he couldn’t have done more in that race. Big thanks also have to go to Michael for his support in the final race as he did a great job of acting as Tommy’s wingman. We want to take this opportunity to thank all of our sponsors, partners and supporters who have made this possible.”

For more information visit www.swanyamaha.co.uk

Performance Parts Ltd are please to support, sponsor and supply Swan Yamaha. For more information about the performance parts we have for YOUR bike please visit www.performanceparts-ltd.com

Performance Parts Ltd - Bionics for your bike. Better. Stronger. Faster...

No comments:

Post a Comment