Monday 18 July 2011

OULTON PARK BSB: RAIN STOPS PLAY

Akrapovic equipped Samsung Crescent Racing's John Hopkins suffered a crash in race one at a rain-hit 2011 British Superbikes championship meeting at Oulton Park today. Although uninjured, Hopkins was unable to continue in that race. With high winds and rain battering the circuit, the meeting was abandoned before the second race was run. Hopkins' team-mate Jon Kirkham rode well to secure a ninth place and sufficient points to lift him to seventh in the BSB championship standings.

John Hopkins - crashed while leading

After promising much, race day at the seventh round of the 2011 BSB championship was hit by strong winds and rain. The only BSB race was run in wet conditions but, as he promised, Hopkins started well, leaping off pole position to take the holeshot. Hopkins was building a lead when he was unlucky enough to slide off at Lodge Corner on the seventh lap.

Jon Kirkham had started that race from P13 and after finishing lap one in 14th fought his way back to ninth to score some solid championship-bolstering points.

The meeting was abandoned after the race stewards and team managers met to discuss the safety implications of continuing the meeting in such inclement conditions. All agreed the meeting had to abandoned and the lost races will now be rescheduled as part of the August Bank Holiday meeting at Cadwell Park.

John Hopkins: "Going into that first race I was feeling confident. I got off to a decent start and I gave it a lap or two to find my feet, during which time Shane Byrne came past. My objective then was to make a clean pass on Byrne and to build a lead. I wanted to make a break and avoid any havoc that might come later in the race.

"I was doing nothing adventurous when I slid off at Lodge Corner. Our data logging showed I was 3km/h slower than my previous entry speed and I was in fact braking lighter, but the front just went away. Sometimes in racing that's just the way it goes.
"My only regret is that we didn't have that second race so I could make amends. But I agree with the decision to abandon. And I've still plenty of positives to take away from the weekend. I'm very happy with how my bike and the team are performing. We're still in a very strong position in this championship."


Jon Kirkham: "The conditions today were treacherous, I just wanted to finish that first race. There wasn't much to it other than to do your best. I'd have liked to have ridden a second race as well as we'd worked on some settings for a better wet set-up, and I was sure I could get a good result with a bit of a push – but I respect the decision. 

Jon Kirkham: a fighting 9th in treacherous conditions

"So, on balance a positive ride for me today. To score some vital points and to jump back up to seventh in the standings isn't a bad outcome."

Performance Parts Ltd are pleased to supply Samsung Crescent Suzuki with Akrapovic. For more information on the hundreds of performance parts we stock for your bike please visit www.performanceparts-ltd.com

Performance Parts Ltd: Bionics for your bike - Better, Stronger, Faster...

No comments:

Post a Comment